Brown Butter Salted Caramel Snickerdoodles
- Yield: 2 dozen cookies
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose Gold Medal flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup caramel squares, cut into 1/4's
For rolling the cookies:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Sea salt, for sprinkling on top of cookies
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- To brown the butter: heat a thick-bottomed skillet on medium heat. Add the sliced butter, whisking frequently. Continue to cook the butter until melted. The butter will start to foam and brown specks will begin to form at the bottom of the pan. The butter should have a nutty aroma. Watch the butter carefully because it can go from brown to burn quickly. Remove butter from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the brown butter and sugars. Mix until blended and smooth. Beat in the egg, yolk, vanilla, and yogurt and mix until combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combine
- Form the dough in a ball and cover with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F. Measure about 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into balls. Flatten the ball with the palm of your hand and place a piece of caramel in the center of the dough. Wrap the cookie dough around the caramel, making sure the caramel is completely covered with dough.
- In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar. Roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place dough balls on a large baking sheet that has been lined parchment paper. Make sure the cookies are about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle the cookie tops with sea salt.
- Bake the cookies 8-10 minutes or until the edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown. The centers will still be soft. Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes, or until set. Transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack and cool completely.